HEALTHY SNACK IDEAS: THE BANANA ROLLS

Monday, October 02, 2017


At the beginning of summer, after a strong existential crisis, I decided to make a few changes in my life. One of my goals that I set myself is to develop a healthy lifestyle. So the first decision I took was to tackle one of my main bad feeding habits which I call my ‘candy addiction’. This is something I have always felt bad about but never did anything to stop it so it felt like a good first step to take in the right direction.

I have always been a huge fan of candies – a lot more than chocolate actually – but since I started living on my own and doing my own grocery shopping my trips to the candy aisle have been a bit too frequent for my taste. And the more I ate sugar, the more I wanted sugar. It got to the point where I basically felt like a candy junkie. I was constantly craving sweets and eating maybe two or three candy bags per week!

So about three months ago I decided to cut myself off candies. 

However, I did not want to cut off sugar completely because I would have lasted maybe a week, tops. I just wanted to take things slow and start small, so by cutting off only my sweets intake, I have managed to maintain my objective to this day. Now October 2nd, I still haven’t touched a single candy since the end of June which is quite the accomplishment for me.

When I started my “candy detox” I knew that I had to replace them with a healthy snack that would fulfill my need for something sweet without all the nasty stuff that you find in candies. Today, I’ll talk to you about two of my favorite recipes – which are basically two versions of the same recipe – that I’ve been loving and that have helped me get over my candy addiction.

The banana & strawberry rolls

1 banana
A handful of strawberries (raspberries can work too)
Organic peanut butter
1 whole wheat tortilla


This snack recipe is super easy and quick to make.

First, you need to spread the peanut butter all over the tortilla. You can put as much as you want but personally I prefer when there is not too much. 
Then you need to cut the banana and strawberries in slices and place them all over the tortilla as you can see in the picture below. 


For the next step, you'll need to roll the tortilla without closing the ends like you would for a burrito. And finally, you can cut the tortilla in slices about an inch wide to make it easier to eat.



The PB and banana roll

1 banana
Organic peanut butter
1 whole wheat tortilla 


This recipe is actually my favorite and is even quicker to make than the other one. I basically eat this all the time when I am craving candies now. It is sweet thanks to the natural sugar in the banana so it is also healthier and it fills you up so you don’t crave any other snack before your next meal.

This goes almost like the first recipe. First you spread the peanut butter on the tortilla. Then your place the whole banana on the tortilla and start rolling the tortilla around the banana. And finally you just need to cut the tortilla in slices of about one inches to make bite size bits, and voila! 


Now, the combination of banana and peanut butter have become my favorite thing! I can say that I have successfully transitioned from a candy addiction to a PB and banana addiction. I am not complaining though! 

In the end, I am very happy that I haven't eaten a single candy for the past 3 months and now I can go past the candy aisle without making a pit stop to buy some. It makes me feel a little more free :)

What about you? What are your favorite healthy snacks that help you from eating junk food? I am really interested to find new recipes!


On a side note, I am planning to make a series of posts following my journey to a healthy lifestyle so if you are interested, keep your eyes peeled!


M.

You Might Also Like

0 commentaires